You attempt to add a new tile to a page within your Jive environment but cannot. You receive an error stating, “Number of tiles (17) exceeds the maximum (16)” or "Number of custom view tiles (6) exceeds maximum (5)." When reviewing the page, you note that you have not exceeded the stated maximum number of tiles.
Jive has a defined Maximum Tile Count and a Maximum Custom Tile count. When exceeded, these limits prevent new tiles from being added. You may find that this error appears in specific scenarios, despite being under these defined limits.
This behavior often appears when you previously used a different page layout on the affected page (ex. three columns) and had tiles added to each column. You then changed the layout(ex. 2 columns), removing the visibility of the 3rd column and its tiles. These non-visible tiles are still stored within the JivetileInstance table, resulting in the error.
Verifying the Actual Tile Count
- On-premise customers can execute the following query to check how many tiles are used in space (replace XXXX with space ID). Hosted or Cloud customers can raise a support ticket for this issue along with the details of the affected pages and Places.
SELECT tileinstanceid, instanceorder,state, instancecolumn FROM jivetileinstance WHERE parentobjectid = 'XXXX' order by instanceorder
- Review the Instancecolumn column within the results, storing a particular tile’s column.
- In the example above, we used a 2-column layout, but three columns contain tiles. Some of the tiles (7 of them) were not deleted from column 0, which currently is not used anymore and occupies unnecessarily tile quota.
Removing the Errant Tiles
- Temporarily restore the previous page layout.
- Remove the Errant tiles from the temporarily re-added column.
- Restore your original page layout.
- Save the page.
After saving the page, return and verify that you can now add new tiles to the page without seeing the Jive Error appear.