The home page for your community doesn't appear or doesn't finish loading:
You may be able to log in to and use your community otherwise, and the home page may appear when using a browser's incognito mode.
This issue is affecting all the users of your site or is affecting users in a specific location.
- Do not remove or modify a news stream or a news stream rule for a customer without asking them for permission first.
- Do not set the customer's homepage to be a widgetized/non-news based page.
If the issue does not get resolved by following the steps listed in the customer section below, examine the Kibana logs for the customer's instance to identify if there are any error messages that appear to be related to the activity engine. Activity engine-related messages will have com.jivesoftware.community.eae in their class name (You can use this as a logger filter in Kibana).
If you suspect that the customer's theme may be causing this issue, follow these steps, using the information from this article to export the customer's theme and import it to a demo instance:
- Log in to the customer's instance.
- Export the custom theme used by the customer (it will be listed as Published in the Themes panel).
- Log in to a demo instance.
- Import the theme to the demo instance.
- Click on Themes, then select the theme you imported.
- Click on the Save Theme button at the bottom left of the Themes page.
- Select the Publish theme on the Save checkbox.
- Click on the Save button.
- Check to see if the news streams load on the demo homepage.
This may be caused by an invalid or broken news stream. Streams become invalid when have 0 places as a source, or when an update to them contains an invalid/corrupted content item (such as a document or blog post).
When an invalid stream is on a user's homepage/news feed, this leads to the homepage of your community not loading for that user. If this issue is affecting all the users in your community, it means one of the streams that everyone is configured to receive is invalid.
The first step should be to try and identify any content items that are corrupt or in draft mode.
- Check in the Browser Console or HAR file for which tiles are on the affected page.
- Inside those tiles, check what content is being loaded.
- Browse the URL of the content found, and check if
- It is in draft mode.
- It loads properly.
- If you see any of the above issues, republish the content.
- Check if the Home Page / Stream loads now.
The next step is to try rebuilding all of the news streams. This typically resolves this issue, however, it may be necessary to recreate them.
Rebuilding All the News Streams
- Please follow these steps, repeating Steps 3-4 of that article for each news stream in your community.
- Browse to your community homepage. If the issue persists, please move on to the next section.
Removing the Invalid News Streams
- Click on the small notepad/the edit button next to the News:
- Take a screenshot of the page, then save it on your local computer.
- Check to see which streams have 0 listed in their Places column:
- For each stream that has 0 in their Places column:
- Click on the stream.
- For each stream rule that appears:
- Click on the stream rule.
- Take a screenshot of the stream rule page, then save it on your local computer.
- Click on the Cancel button.
- Delete the news stream by clicking on the Delete News Stream button that appears at the bottom right of the page.
To confirm that the issue is resolved:
- Clear your browser's cache.
- Log out of Jive.
- Log back into Jive.
- Check to see if the home page loads correctly now.
- If the issue is resolved:
Identify which news streams had a 0 in their Places column by reviewing the screenshot from Step 1 of the Removing the Invalid News Streams section.
- Otherwise: Please capture a HAR file while reproducing the issue, then please file a support ticket with the HAR file attached.
- If the issue is resolved: